BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 8, 2010

wild boar and other things

I ate wild boar for the first time this weekend.  Though I'm seriously thinking about becoming a vegetarian again, the last few days I've been a complete carnivore.  I don't know what's come over me.  The boar was pretty tasty, couldn't tell it was in the pork family at all.

Had the wild pig at a very cool restaurant (old movies play customers eat) in a delightful little village called Neiwan, not too far from Hsinchu.  I went with my friend, who I've decided will remain nameless in this blog.  I'm not sure he is aware this exists but nevertheless I want to protect his identity.  Besides, there may come a point where I need to seriously vent my frustrations about the fun/complicated/confusing situation and he might not appreciate having his name on display in cyberspace. 

Neiwan has an interesting street lined with food vendors and random shops.  There is an oddities museum which houses such freaks of nature as a preserved two-headed pig and sheep, a hideous shrunken head, giant snakes, a male chastity belt, and many more bizarre objects.  Something I did not like about the museum--there was a beautiful LIVE white crow kept in a tiny, cramped cage.  The poor thing looked miserable and struggled to get out.  It broke my heart and I so want to go back in the middle of the night and let the creature free.

Mountains surround Neiwan and I saw signs for various hotspring resorts so I plan on going back again in the near future for a day (or night) of solitude and reflection.

On the train ride back home a young man (couldn't have been more than 30) fell over in what at first appeared to be a heart attack but might have been some kind of seizure-related disorder. It appeared he was gone for a moment.  His mother rushed to his side, the train stopped, and a kind-hearted stranger came over and administered CPR.  I have to say the experience scared me and made me once again realize how unpredictable and short life can be.  Thankfully the man came back.

Some pics from Neiwan:

 

  

  



 

 
                                                                
The weather today is cold and gloomy. It creates a lonely atmosphere. I've been brooding a lot the past few days.  I don't know exactly what's come over me but I feel like I'm at some drastic turning point in my life once more. I'm realizing some things which I will blog about at a later date.  I don't have the energy tonight.

Aside from that, my brother called me this morning and told me he's coming to Taiwan for sure in May.  I'm really excited.  I wonder if this place will leave him feeling as speechless as I felt when I first arrived.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment